Saturday, November 7, 2009

Are payments deposited in the US bank account of a NRA freelance translator subject to tax withholding?

I am a non-resident alien freelance translator residing in Italy. Do the US translation agencies that provide my work have to withhold taxes on my earnings when they deposit my earnings on my US Bank account? I am not the spouse on a US citizen. I have no children born in the US.
Are payments deposited in the US bank account of a NRA freelance translator subject to tax withholding?
If you are providing the translation within the US or its territories than yes they do. If you are providing the service outside the US than no they don't. Besides you are a freelance translator and not an actual employee of the agencies so they are not responsible for collecting any of the taxes if you do owe any.
Reply:ordinarily not if you sign one of those


self-employed 99 something


forms.





ask the contractor who is hiring you


what they need in order for them not


to withhold anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment